Trump Seeks $1 Billion for Drone‑Proof White House Ballroom Roof
Trump’s request for $1 billion to fortify his White House ballroom with a drone‑proof roof and rooftop drone port follows a Pentagon guide on hardening infrastructure against drone attacks.
TL;DR
Trump is asking Congress for $1 billion in taxpayer money to add a new drone‑proof roof and a rooftop drone port to his White House ballroom project. This follows a Pentagon guide that urges hardening structures against drone attacks.
The recent ballroom project started after the demolition of the White House mansion’s East Wing and has so far relied on $400 million in private donations from companies such as Amazon, Apple, Lockheed Martin and Microsoft. Trump toured the site on May 19 and described the planned roof as made of “impenetrable steel” that would stop drone strikes. He said the upgrades would include a range of security adjustments beyond the roof, and the private donors have contributed funds specifically for construction, not for the security enhancements Trump now seeks.
During the tour Trump said he wants a rooftop drone base for “unlimited numbers of drones,” calling it a drone port that could protect all of Washington. He also told reporters he is seeking $1 billion in taxpayer funds for security upgrades to the ballroom, separate from the private construction budget. In January 2026 the current Pentagon issued a guide advising that critical infrastructure be hardened with concrete walls, enclosures or hardened roofs to block drone access, noting overhead netting and cables as additional options.
It still remains unclear whether the anti‑drone features will be incorporated into the final design or if Congress will approve the funding. Lawmakers will weigh the request against significant broader budget priorities, the Pentagon’s own hardening recommendations, and potential future public opposition to using taxpayer money for a presidential project. The outcome will influence how future administrations balance private investment with public security spending at the White House.
Watch for upcoming congressional hearings on the ballroom budget and any revisions to the architectural plans that may emerge in the coming months.
Continue reading
More in this thread
Reeves Announces Free August Bus Rides for Children, Fuel Duty Freeze, and Food Tariff Cuts
Nadia Okafor
Fact Check: Officers Dunn and Hodges Did Sue Trump Over $1.8 Billion Anti‑Weaponisation Fund
Nadia Okafor
Trump Set to Swear In Kevin Warsh as Fed Chair Amid Staff Cuts Talk
Nadia Okafor
Conversation
Reader notes
Loading comments...