Politics1 hr ago

Trump Pauses Iran Strike Pending Gulf Request as Iran Moves 26 Vessels

Trump said he was an hour away from ordering new strikes on Iran but paused the plan pending a request from Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE, while Iran reported moving 26 vessels out of the Strait of Hormuz in 24 hours.

Nadia Okafor/3 min/US

Political Correspondent

TweetLinkedIn
Trump Pauses Iran Strike Pending Gulf Request as Iran Moves 26 Vessels
Source: ZeenewsOriginal source

President Trump said he was an hour away from ordering new strikes on Iran but paused the plan pending a request from Gulf allies, while Iran reported moving 26 ships out of the Strait of Hormuz in one day.

Context The United States and Iran have exchanged threats and diplomatic overtures since fighting resumed in February. Earlier this week Trump warned that the "clock is ticking" for Iran, suggesting an imminent end to the current pause in hostilities. On Monday he said any renewed attacks would be held until Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE made a formal request, framing the delay as a diplomatic checkpoint. Iran meanwhile said it had received and was reviewing Washington’s response to its latest ceasefire proposal, showing that talks continue despite the rhetoric.

Key Facts Trump told reporters he had been "an hour away from making the decision" to resume military attacks on Iran. He added that any renewed strikes were placed on hold pending a request from Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE. He also said he might give Iran a few "days" to return to negotiations, hinting at a limited window for diplomacy. Iran’s Tasnim News Agency said it coordinated the movement of 26 vessels out of the Strait of Hormuz in a 24‑hour period, noting the ships left the waterway without incident.

What It Means The pause indicates Trump is weighing pressure from Gulf partners before authorizing force, reflecting a preference for negotiated de‑escalation despite his hard‑line rhetoric. Iran’s ability to shift 26 vessels quickly demonstrates its capacity to alter maritime posture, which could be read as either a signal of readiness to avoid conflict or a show of naval readiness. Analysts note that the mixed messages create uncertainty for regional markets and could affect oil prices if the standoff escalates. The administration’s next move will likely hinge on whether the Gulf states issue the requested strike authorization.

What to watch next: whether Qatar, Saudi Arabia, or the UAE formally request a strike, and how Iran responds if the hold is lifted or extended.

TweetLinkedIn

More in this thread

Reader notes

Loading comments...